Monday, August 23, 2004

Rainy Serendipity

Yes, I did have to look up the spelling on "Serendipity".

Yes, I did cut and paste the word "Serendipity".

Anyway... I wanted to walk to the park today like I have been during my lunch breaks recently. The weather has cooled off enough to make it an enjoyable experience, and I love watching and listening to the little waterfalls in the stream and walking in the shade of the trees. It's a happy place and a good break from the computer when you can get away to visit the place. Unfortunately, when I got downstairs and started to go outside, I realized it was raining rather heavily, and I wouldn't be going on any pleasant walks in that kind of downpour. So I came back up to my desk and decided to start typing an outline for an inkling of a story that's been flickering around in my head for a while.

For the first time in several years, the story just seemed to flow through me as though I were dictating something that someone else was describing to me. Writing hasn't been that way for me in a while, and I forgot how much I missed that. The best part was that the little half-formed story notion that I started with seemed now to tie directly into a much larger story that I had been wanting to tell for some time, a story that loomed behind the novel I once wrote when I was a far more dark and depressing person. That novel hadn't been very good, and only touched on the big story in a very tangental manner. The self-absorbed characters had seemed almost inconvenienced to have to deal with the big story. It all felt forced and contrived. The new story just feels right.

I am beginning anew with characters who really want to be in the story and really deserve the admiration of the writer and the reader as well. A hopeful innocence was lacking in my first attempt, and I think I have that back now. I think it will be the kind of story that you feel better for having read.

Wish me luck.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jess said...

That is excellent! I hope the flow continues.

In other news, I was wondering whether you want all and sundry to read your blog - ie. whether I should mention it on my blog and maybe put up a link. Who knows, some of my friends may even comment?

8/23/2004 08:57:00 PM  
Blogger Wormius said...

Thanks for the well-wishing!

I wouldn't mind having more visitors, though it will probably be a while before there's enough content to warrant much visitation.

8/24/2004 09:04:00 AM  
Blogger Me said...

Yay for creative juicery! I just received some very detailed notes on my screenplay from my friend "in the industry". They were very constructive, and helpful, but also slightly depressing in that they confirmed my fears of how far I have yet to go in editing and revising.

8/24/2004 01:19:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home