Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Dawning

I awake this morning to the sounds of Ember still playing in her room as she was when I went to sleep the night before. She must have heard my alarm, because she comes into my room to investigate.

"Good morning," I say.

She looks puzzled. "Is it getting dark outside?" she asks.

"No, it's getting light outside," I answer, "The sun is coming up."

A look of shock passes over her face. "But I didn't go to sleep!"

"Nope," I say, cheerfully, "you stayed up all night."

She looks concerned. "I think I'm gonna go in my room and rest a little."

"No, it's time to get up and have breakfast. You've got a big day ahead of you."

And with that, the circle of life turned once again, and my daughter learned what sort of sympathy one can expect from a well-rested parent when you've decided the night before that bedtimes are for chumps.

To her credit, she gave it a valiant effort, collapsing only about 30 seconds short of getting any breakfast.

1 Comments:

Blogger Ginger Hunter said...

Ah, how well I know the dearth of sympathy that lies within the twisted depths of the elder brother's humor. Luckily she inherited Liz's ability to sleep like a rock, where and when necessary. Lucky!

As to why she is not going to bed on time...are you wearing her out sufficiently? She needs some runnin' around, methinks.

10/15/2009 02:31:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home