Monday, August 30, 2004

Movies I Actually Want to See

I find myself in the rare position of having more than one movie that I'm actually looking forward to seeing on the horizon.

The first is "Shaun of the Dead"

I like zombies. I like comedies. Bango!

The second:"The Life Aquatic"

I grew up watching Jaques Cousteau and loved every minute of it. I like comedies. Bango!

So I wonder why I'm such a movie snob that it is worthy of note that I'm looking forward to TWO WHOLE MOVIES this year. Now there have been movies that I've gone to see and subsequently really liked recently. (Spiderman 2, Napolean Dynamite, Harry Potter 3) I just wasn't really looking forward to them before I saw them. Maybe the problem is that so few movies are in the theater now that aren't either sequels or based on an established property of some sort, and, more often than not, they are just studio crap churned out quickly and slickly with a name brand stuck on them to sell tickets.

I was very pleasantly surprised that, in the case of the two sequels I liked, the directors were willing to take chances with the formula and tell a good story in the way they wanted to tell it, rather than just the same old, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!" Hollywood grind. Honestly, I think it is broke, and it needs to be fixed. If I see one more trailer for a movie where a little dog/ferret/cat bites someone in the crotch and gets thrown out the window, I'm buying a camera and doing it myself.

In the case of Napolean Dynamite, it was really nice to see a low-budget film that refused to do what you expected it to, and do it so well. It was a good film, plain and simple, and now we will be deluged with big-budget rip-offs that just don't get it.

2 Comments:

Blogger Ginger Hunter said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9/03/2004 11:26:00 AM  
Blogger Me said...

What's up with making a comment then deleting it? That ain't right!

Yo bro, you done seenShaun of the Dead now. Update your blog! And get me a free iPod! And mind your mation of Farswip!

So many demands...

10/05/2004 12:23:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home